Subject Code: FINM4100
Subject Name: Data Analytics in Accounting, Economics & Finance
Assessment Title: Investigative Report – Banking and Analytics
Assessment Type: Individual Report
Word Count: 1500 Words (+/-10%)
Total Marks 25
Due Date: Monday Week 10, 19:55pm AEST
• You are an analytics consultant who has been asked to develop a report to the board of directors of Commonwealth Bank of Australia. The report needs to:
A) Describe the applications of Fintech and data analytics to the banking sector
B) Evaluate the impact Fintech and data analytics will have on how banks in Australia will operate over the next 5 years
C) Recommend three specific actions Commonwealth Bank can take over the next 12 months to ensure they remain competitive
• Students are provided with ONE core reading and four suggested readings:
• CORE: https://www.ey.com/Publication/vwLUAssets/ey-unleashing-thepotential-of-fin-tech-in-banking/$File/ey-unleashing-the-potential-of-fin-tech-inbanking.pdf
• SUGGESTED: https://www.pwc.com/gx/en/financialservices/fintech/assets/fin-tech-banking-2016.pdf
• SUGGESTED: https://www.mckinsey.com/industries/financial-services/ourinsights/smarter-analytics-for-banks
• SUGGESTED: https://www.mckinsey.com/industries/financial-services/ourinsights/synergy-and-disruption-ten-trends-shaping-fintech
• SUGGESTED:https://www2.deloitte.com/content/dam/Deloitte/global/Docum ents/Deloitte-Analytics/dttl-analytics-us-ba-bankinganalytics3minguide.pdf
• Students must reference the core reading, two suggested readings and three of their own sources in their report.
• The report should be appropriately referenced based on the resources found on MyKBS
(Academic Success Centre): https://elearning.kbs.edu.au/mod/page/view.php?id=194263
Suggested Structure: Executive Summary
Students need to outline the issues covered in the report and summarise the recommendations. Someone reading this summary should have a general idea of what the report will address.
• Describe what Fintech is
• Describe the applications of Fintech in the banking sector with reference to contemporary sources
• Summarise the main conclusions from the introduction and speculate how banking will change over the next five years as a result.
• Justify your evaluation with reference to contemporary sources and use relevant headings to highlight the main effects Conclusion
• Drawing on the introduction and discussion recommend three specific actions for the CBA over the next year to ensure they remain competitive
• Justify your recommendations with evidence and refer to current sources Summary of main discussion points.
• Summarise all sections of the report.
References & Appendices
Reference appropriately in text and in the appendix (See https://elearning.kbs.edu.au/mod/page/view.php?id=194263)
Section Criteria Marks Allocated
A) Research and
Current Trends Demonstrate an ability to describe, evaluate and conduct research on current trends in big data and analytics as they relate to banking.
Integrate an understanding of analytics techniques, governance and economic and financial theory policy to address the application of big data and analytics to banks 4 marks
B) Predictions and Reflections Synthesise theory and practice taught in the course, personal research and the reports provided to provide a logical, convincing and supported conclusion/prediction on the effects of big data and analytics on the future of banking 6 marks
strategic actions by the bank Recommend three specific strategies a bank could undertake to address the changing landscape of banking in light of fintech and analytics capability. Briefly justify each strategy with reference to current theory and practice. 4 marks
Referencing, Presentation and
Communication Construct a report that follows a logical sequence of an executive summary, introduction, clear sections and a summary/conclusion. Judge the needs of the report audience (finance industry professionals) and adapt the report structure, presentation and jargon to address those needs.
Conduct research into the report topic based on provided readings and personal research. Demonstrate an understanding of which sources are most relevant to addressing the report focus.
Apply Harvard Referencing conventions to acknowledging all sources used in constructing the report 1 marks
Total Marks 25
Important Study Information
Academic Integrity Policy
KBS values academic integrity. All students must understand the meaning and consequences of cheating, plagiarism and other academic offences under the Academic Integrity and Conduct Policy.
What is academic integrity and misconduct?
What are the penalties for academic misconduct?
What are the late penalties?
How can I appeal my grade?
Click here for answers to these questions:
Word Limits for Written Assessments
Submissions that exceed the word limit by more than 10% will cease to be marked from the point at which that limit is exceeded.
Students may seek study assistance from their local Academic Learning Advisor or refer to the resources on the MyKBS Academic Success Centre page. Click here for this information.
Page 4 Kaplan Business School Assessment Outline